New Year's ResolutionS? GRR First!
Liz Traines Coaching turned 2 this month! It's an exciting milestone - my love for learning about your life, career, and identifying your purpose is here to stay!
With anniversaries and the holiday season, many of us think about making resolutions and goal setting. However, before we do that, I want to first encourage something I call the:
Gratitude and Reflection Ritual (aka GRR)
Why? Because the GRR helps us grow in alignment with our deepest desires and purpose. When we connect with 2017's most meaningful moments and ask ourselves "Why?" they were so important, we build energy and momentum to take with us into 2018. Harvard Business Review reported, "Employees who spent 15 minutes at the end of the day reflecting about lessons learned performed 23% better after 10 days than those who did not reflect." Similar results were observed with morning reflection and planning too.
Want those results in your work or life, but feeling a little overwhelmed about getting started? I'm sharing my own 5 question GRR process with you, to make this easier. Just copy and paste the questions below into a doc and start typing!
The Gratitude & Reflection Ritual (GRR)
- What are your proudest accomplishments of 2017? Why?
- How are you feeling about closing out 2017? Why?
- What moments were the most fun for you in 2017? What made them special?
- What moments were most difficult and how did you overcome them?
- What are you most grateful for as you head into 2018?
Don't like the idea of typing these things out, you get to GRR however you like. A conversation with a trusted friend or mentor? A cup of coffee and your favorite pen/journal? Find your style. Taking the time to do this will help you feel much more in control and excited about your life!
Next week, I'll share with you how I'm setting my 2018 personal and business goals/New Year's resolutions. If you want to talk through any of this, please schedule a complimentary clarity session with me.
Need some inspo? Here is the [consolidated] version of my answers to give you some ideas:
What are your proudest accomplishments of 2017? Why?
- Officially transitioned to career and lifestyle coaching, my dream niche. I didn't feel I was ready for this straight out of my corporate career; I had to create my own career and lifestyle, the way I wanted it and know that it was here to stay! (Otherwise, I'd feel like a fraud). I know my business will continue to evolve as my life and priorities shift, and I'm excited about that evolution!
- Building some really special relationships - ones that feel fully rooted in my truth, and being my most authentic self.
How are you feeling about closing out 2017? Why?
- I'm feeling accomplished and proud - I've run a business for two years now and I'm growing personally and professionally in the ways that feel most important to me.
- Liberated by the freedom to execute my goals and dreams, my way.
- Confident (but not in an egotistical way) about where I've come from and that I've got the tools I need to get me where I want to go (or that I'll figure it out along the way, if I don't have the answer).
What moments were the most fun for you in 2017? What made them special?
- Numerous dinners/lunches/coffees I've had with strong, supportive, entrepreneurial women this year. They light me up. They inspire me to keep going (and growing) and let me know I'm not alone in my challenges and that it's amazing to celebrate accomplishments too!
- Laughing with my clients. We do our best to give rightful attention to individual challenges and then laugh through the process of overcoming them as much as we can!
- Trip to Colorado, the company was the most special part, but I felt carefree and independent despite being attached to another human the whole time. Who I'm surrounded by is more important than where I'm going.
What moments were the most difficult and how did you overcome them?
- Overcoming fear has been the most difficult. Whether the fear has been related to dating, my business, friendships, etc... it still exists, but I'm letting go and not letting it stop me. Now, I do my best to shift my perspective to what IS going well and connect emotionally to the most recent moments that have been filled with love and gratitude.
What are you most grateful for as you head into 2018? Why?
- Freedom to do WHATEVER I want in life and in business. Despite tumultuous political times, and (of course) the obstacles of social and economic pressures, I live in a country that allows freedom in more ways that I can imagine. I will not take this for granted.
- Loving relationships and support. I know I can do a lot on my own, but without love and tribal support, my reach and potential becomes capped. Love and support gives me extra energy, ideas, and resources I can't create by myself. This fuel is a gift I'm VERY grateful for.
- Stanley (photo to the right explains all)