Happy Friday! And Chag Sameach to those celebrating Passover!
Let's do a breathing exercise before reading the newsletter this afternoon:
- Breathe in for 4 seconds (through nose)
- Hold it in for 7 seconds
- Breathe out for 8 seconds (through mouth)
- Repeat 4x
Source: Dr. Andrew Weil (Integrative Medicine M.D.)
Now that you’re calm and focused… we can move on and talk about careers and how they can impact our health (and remember to use this exercise as a tool to focus, gain clarity, relax, make decisions, reduce anxiety, etc... when you're at work or even trying to fall asleep).
Careers can be rewarding in a lot of ways. They can provide us:
- A sense of accomplishment and purpose
- An opportunity to execute our passions/interests
- Personal and professional growth/mental stimulation/learning
- Financial benefits, health insurance, memberships and many other perks
- The opportunity to build strong relationships
- The ability to travel to new places
- Many more rewards that can be unique to each person
Some of these rewards can come at a cost to our bodies:
- Conference room lunches and client dinner meetings (aka half a bread basket because you’re starving by the time you get to dinner + a way too large portion of protein + a grain + a veggie + oversized wine pours)
- Snack machines fuel your 3PM slump
- Global teams drive obscure working hours and impact sleep schedule
- Long weeks and sometimes weekend work
- Emailing in bed/on the go/connected to tech all the time
- Too tired at the end of day to make dinner so you get takeout or eat something like granola or frozen dinners (on a frequent basis)
- Can't get into an exercise routine because work is too busy
Over time, these events can wear on our bodies in the form of:
- Weight gain
- Stress & Anxiety
- Insomnia/trouble sleeping
- High blood pressure
- Sugar cravings
- Many many others
Is your work lifestyle getting in the way of living your healthiest, fullest life? I was there, suffering from sleep issues, weight gain, chronic stress, sugar cravings (there wasn’t a night that I’d let myself go to sleep without eating frozen yogurt or ice cream), and inconsistent gym workouts. Some weeks, things would improve, I thought I was in a rhythm and then work or life would knock me off the wagon.
It was a struggle. And the struggle stressed me out more. I knew what was healthy for me, but I couldn’t get there… Until I developed a self care routine, asked for help and put myself first. My priorities became a balance of exercise, nutrition, becoming mindful and vocal about my personal boundaries, starting a yoga practice, ensuring I got out with friends and went out on dates. In a nutshell, I learned how to love and prioritize myself and my well-being and this made me 1000% more energized to be my best for others.
If you're ready for change, I can help you create your balance!
Check out my new program: Define & Live "Your Healthy!"
- June 2017
- May 2017
- Apr 29, 2017 Is your career soul sucking? Top 5 ways to know...
- Apr 23, 2017 Want to do Good? Take care of you first...
- Apr 14, 2017 Settling Sucks...
- Apr 8, 2017 Is Failure Actually Real?
- Apr 1, 2017 Top 5 Fears that Stop Us From Pursuing a Career We Could Love
- Mar 25, 2017 Who Do You Work For?
- Mar 18, 2017 What's your money story?
- Mar 11, 2017 How Looking Inward Could be Your Key to Success
- Mar 3, 2017 Want to Create a Career You Love? Here are my Top 5 Lessons...
- December 2016
- Nov 23, 2016 I'm grateful for you...
- Nov 23, 2016 Avoiding the Thanksgiving (Food) Hangover: My Top 5 tips
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 27, 2016 Have a Fab Holiday Weekend (Without Feeling Like Crap on Tuesday)!
- May 22, 2016 Embracing the "Struggle"
- April 2016
- March 2016
- Nov 6, 2015 I Gotta (GUT) Feeling!!!
- Oct 23, 2015 Get Moving and Find Exercise that Works for You!
- Oct 16, 2015 All you Need is Love, Love... (Oh Yes, and Sleep Too!)
- Oct 14, 2015 Welcome to my Blog!
- Oct 8, 2015