People ask me all the time...
Wow, corporate finance, six-figure salary, 25+ days paid time off, international travel, premium health insurance, etc… etc… How did you end up doing “a 180” to starting your own health coaching business?
The short answer: I knew Finance was not my passion, but it paid the bills, allowed me to save, taught me a bunch of marketable skills, introduced me to some friends for life, and kept me challenged.
I learned a lot about myself (most importantly, how to love myself) and transformed my mind, body and soul during that 8-year career by focusing on my health.
Coupling the gratitude and appreciation of my transformation process, while recognizing my greatest strengths, it became overwhelmingly clear that coaching was a passion and something I had to explore. I wanted to help people transform into their happiest, healthiest, best versions of themselves! I couldn't deny it, so I took a leap of faith.
For those who enjoy the juicier details, let’s illustrate this transformation a bit:
- The Unhealthy Me
- Anxious and fearful about the future
- Falling in love seemed like it would never happen
- My weight was a battle of ups and downs and was constantly on my mind (even though I ate so many vegetables and lean proteins - bread was the devil)
- Exercise was purely for calorie burning, but I wasn’t losing the weight I desired
- Suffered from intermittent insomnia
- I got really good at smiling on the outside, frowning on the inside
- While I excelled in my career, I feared the next promotion (my boss’ job always looked more stressful than my own)
- I looked to others to make decisions for me
- There was always more to do, but I felt like I never felt a sense of accomplishment
I was well aware I was pretty unhappy and unfulfilled. But I lived with it. It was easier to do that than find the time to “fix” my life. I said it would happen one day when there was more time (yeah right), so I buried the overwhelm.
Until an unexpected wakeup call…
It was New Year’s Eve 2012. I met a stranger, Kevin. I was out at a bowling party. I didn't want to do anything for the holiday, but I felt like I had to; it was New Year's Eve. Kevin, about 5’4,” short hair, blue eyes, cute, but not my type, started dancing and chatting with me. I remember feeling so nervous around him, but why? I went to grab a drink, he was right there when I got back. He wasn’t leaving me alone – the nervousness was stemming from the questions he asked me. I felt like he could see into my soul. He knew the grinning, “yeah, I’m having a great time,” was fake. He was perceptive. I was scared, for good reason, he was about to challenge me and my proverbial "walls" like woah.
Right after the ball dropped, he said to me, “I know you’re unhappy, I can see the walls you have up, and only you can do something about it. I’ve been there – I was really unhappy, and now I’m free and happy.” I probably turned the reddest I've ever been in my life and felt like my heart was going to pop out of my chest I felt so cornered. I reacted with subtle defensiveness, "No, no no," but we both knew what he said was true. Kevin said good night and good luck and I never saw him again. I tried finding him on Facebook, LinkedIn, Google... no luck.
The fact that a complete stranger, two minutes into 2013 called me out on my “walls” hit me hard. This wouldn’t faze a lot of people, but it was the wakeup call I needed to initiate change in my life. I was sick of feeling confused and lost.
I made a pact with myself that day… My personal journey of breaking down those walls and discovering the authentic, healthy, vibrant me began! I knew there was more in me, I just had to focus to find it.
And a journey it was - domestic and international travel adventures, exercising, eating well, journaling, networking, saying yes to therapy, mentoring and coaching, facing many fears, having tough conversations, and much more...
And here I am, transformed, talking about my change to inspire others to grow and show that tiny changes add up! I am SO thrilled to use health coaching as my vehicle to help people overcome their challenges, big and small.
Why Holistic Health?
Because health is not just about optimal weight and cardiovascular condition; it’s about our minds, bodies, and souls communicating and driving actions that feel authentic to us. That communication provides clarity and strength to accomplish whatever you put your mind to.
The Transformed Healthy Me:
- Curious about the world
- Eager to explore and learn
- Excited about possibilities in love, career, and friendships
- I dropped 15 lbs (10% of my body weight) without deprivation
- I sleep through the night (most nights, I’m not perfect)
- Exercise is therapeutic and a form of strength and self expression
- I am more fulfilled than I’ve ever been by a variety of sources
- I smile because I mean it
- I make decisions that are in line with my personal values
- I know how to fully relax and rest to prevent burn out
- My career is in line with my strengths, values and interests
What I feared most happened; I was cornered and called out. However, I can say today that I sure am grateful for Kevin.
Has anyone or anything had an impact on you like Kevin had on me? Please share below! Or email me if you don't want to share with the thing we call internets - it may take me a few days to get back to you, but I will respond.
XOXOX ~ Liz
- Apr 23, 2017 Want to do Good? Take care of you first... Apr 23, 2017
- Apr 14, 2017 Settling Sucks... Apr 14, 2017
- Apr 9, 2017 Is Failure Actually Real? Apr 9, 2017
- Apr 1, 2017 Top 5 Fears that Stop Us From Pursuing a Career We Could Love Apr 1, 2017
- Mar 25, 2017 Who Do You Work For? Mar 25, 2017
- Mar 19, 2017 What's your money story? Mar 19, 2017
- Mar 12, 2017 How Looking Inward Could be Your Key to Success Mar 12, 2017
- Mar 3, 2017 Want to Create a Career You Love? Here are my Top 5 Lessons... Mar 3, 2017
- December 2016 4
- Nov 23, 2016 I'm grateful for you... Nov 23, 2016
- Nov 23, 2016 Avoiding the Thanksgiving (Food) Hangover: My Top 5 tips Nov 23, 2016
- October 2016 3
- September 2016 2
- August 2016 2
- July 2016 5
- June 2016 2
- May 27, 2016 Have a Fab Holiday Weekend (Without Feeling Like Crap on Tuesday)! May 27, 2016
- May 23, 2016 Embracing the "Struggle" May 23, 2016
- April 2016 3
- March 2016 2
- Nov 6, 2015 I Gotta (GUT) Feeling!!! Nov 6, 2015
- Oct 23, 2015 Get Moving and Find Exercise that Works for You! Oct 23, 2015
- Oct 16, 2015 All you Need is Love, Love... (Oh Yes, and Sleep Too!) Oct 16, 2015
- Oct 14, 2015 Welcome to my Blog! Oct 14, 2015
- Oct 8, 2015 Oct 8, 2015