Freezing today? I am... Yesterday, I stayed inside prepping for my potluck holiday party at WeWork. We needed something yummy and warm to enjoy (it was 1 degree outside)!!! This super easy vegan recipe can be made on the stove or crockpot (I chose the crockpot this time because it made it easy to keep warm/serve at a party), only has 8 ingredients and is a flavorful, protein packed alternative to a meat based chili. Use the recipe below for mason jars or throw it all in a pot and let it cook while you listen to some holiday tunes and wrap presents.
8 Ingredient Winter Vegan Chili
- 2/3 cup brown or green lentils
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
1. In a 1/2 pint-sized mason jar, layer 1/2 of the lentils, 1/2 the barley, 1/2 of the lentils. Top with the spices.
2. To make the soup: combine contents of jar with the tomatoes, vegetable broth and water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, until the lentils and barley are soft. (Crockpot Alternative: heat all ingredients in crockpot on high for 6 hours). Salt and pepper to taste.